Betta Under The Radar
A broken on-line papier machine
parinya
Monday, November 28, 2005
  Papier Machine 'I'm Going to Pwn You'
The title 'papier machine' comes from one of Elizabeth Presa's sculptures that I like very much, which in turn was based on a reading of Derrida's collection of essays called 'Papier Machine'. It is a reflection on writing in a digital or paperless age.

http://www.sylviaschwartz.net/M_River/Presa_images.htm

I know it must seem terribly fuddy-duddy to insist that the clicking of keys and a blinking cursor cannot compare to the very physical act of writing with pen and paper. I maintain that how one writes something determines the nature of what comes out. Neil Gaiman wrote his fairy tale 'Stardust' entirely in long-hand, and I have seen facsimilles of Lewis Caroll's hand-written, self-illustrated 'Alice In Wonderland'. The latter is a wonderful document full of cancelled-out words and ink blots.

Even a type-script produced on a typewriter will bear the touch of the hand - mis-spelled words, letttters doubled as a result of pressing on a key a moment too llllong.

It's really the 'touch' that I'm getting at, though I know I'm dangerously close to seeming stupidly nostalgic and archaic. I have been told though that there ARE examples of 'touch' even deep in the digital orgy of cyber-gaming. E.g. In a killing frenzy 'I'm going to own you' often comes out as 'I'm going to pwn you'. I'm sure more were mentioned but I like this one most.

I keep a diary in a black spiral bound notebook with cream-colored pages. As I write the pages accumulate like dry leaves. It is a strange transition from there to this blog, whose text is formatted by the CSS I have tweaked in the html code. I swing back and forth between writing who I am and who I want to be seen as. My diary is a surrogate for my mind, there is an intimacy and trust that I find difficult to invest in other people.

A blog is a nice middle-ground.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: KL, Malaysia

Travails and trails in life and food

PREVIOUS POSTS
ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / July 2007 /


LINKIES

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.