Betta Under The Radar
A broken on-line papier machine
parinya
Monday, January 02, 2006
  Get Out of the Box
The sky tonight is gorgeous. As clear as you could wish, and every star is visible, cheap diamonds on a black velvet cloak.

I sit outside writing this, looking at it. I was recently given a book by Indonesian poet Goenawan Mohamad. I loved it at once and a verse comes to mind:

Akulah Adam dengan mulut yang sepi
Putra Surgawi
yang damai, terlalu damai
ketika bumi padaku melambai

I am Adam of no word
Heaven's child
at peace, too much at peace
when the earth beckons me


That's right. How easily I let myself be floated away by the atmosphere of a cool night after a whole day of incessant rain. Beer and nicotine running in my veins and I am perfectly, perfectly sedated. I will never make revolutionary work, I'm afraid. I'm too easily soothed.

I have tendencies though. Everyone has tendencies.

Over drinks with T.W. I was told of a dream she had about me. It was so vivid that I vowed to write about it. I hope I have transcribed this accurately:

I am dressed as a clown. My face is white and I have a huge, red, painted clown's smile. I am stuck in a small box on the floor, which in turn is a type of sticker photo booth. I seem determined to have my picture taken and printed. I am horrifying because despite my painted smile and clown's costume, I look very angry. I am trapped behind the box. T.W. yells at me "get out of the box!" I am apparently incredibly stubborn and refuse to do so. I want my picture taken at all costs.

Thoughts? I don't really know what to make of this. Deep down I suspect it is probably a fairly good representation of my situation now. I like metaphors like a kid likes candy, but to be honest I am really disturbed by the image I appear to have generated in the dreams of someone I care about. I have given a close friend a freaky clown nightmare! My refusal to 'get out of the box', even at her behest, strikes a particular chord.

At this time with the sky hanging like a panorama of possibility above me, I resolve to escape from all boxes as soon as I can, pictures be damned! Sometimes other people know you better than you know yourself. Maybe I am not as fearless as I think, far from it.

Labels:

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: KL, Malaysia

Travails and trails in life and food

PREVIOUS POSTS
ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / July 2007 /


LINKIES

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.