Betta Under The Radar
A broken on-line papier machine
parinya
Sunday, May 14, 2006
  'Oh you look much better in real life'
Chu Yuan (a fellow artist who divides her time between KL, Singapore and Myanmar) has written a review of my show Fourth World for kakiseni.com. http://www.kakiseni.com/articles/reviews/MDg2Nw.html will get ya there.

It is damn well written, if I do say so myself. She refers to my work as 'weak' in several places - mostly to do with aspects of decorativeness, so do not for a moment think that it is a fawning piece of flattery. The fragile artist ego flinches instinctively, of course, but deep down it too appreciates writing which is thoughtful and critical.

In a related aside, please remind me in the future to disallow any publication of photos of my person that are not taken by ME. I know this is a very prima donna thing to do, but really, when you are as pathetically unphotogenic as I am, you would do the same. For proof, please turn to StarMag section of today's Sunday Star. It is coverage of Fourth World with a huge picture of my person squatting down, looking constipated and fondling my own installation. Warning : very unattractive.

I know for a fact that Christo (he of the wrapping buildings, and most recently, The Gates in New York's Central Park) only ever allows one photographer to take his picture. This slightly OCD thing is as a result of a bungled publicity shot in which Annie Leibowitz photographed him cocooned in plastic like a caterpillar. According to his wife and collaborator, Jeanne-Claude, they almost divorced over the affair.

Then again he is Christo and I am Betta. Oh how many years of looking stupid must I endure until I my eccentricities can likewise come to be tolerated as the vagaries of a genius? 10? 20? NEVER?
 
Comments:
For proof, please turn to StarMag section of today's Sunday Star.

Or click on this link http://star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/14/soundnstage/14195832&sec=soundnstage

Actually you look like an elegant dancer, betta.
 
Oh btw! Some Malaysian radio ads about your show call you a "renowned local artist"! Alahai!
 
s'true. my bunny wabbit says that the picture doesn't do you justice. Did you like piss off the photographer?
 
Thank you Newt, you are too kind! Unfortunately, truth issa truth. I suppose I should be grateful that the universe conspires to keep my vanity in check.

Renowned local artist? FUCK ME. Am appalled. Alahai indeed.

My favorite reaction to bad pic so far has got to be yours, Lizard Poop - 'IT'S NOT LIKE YOU WERE FUGLY'. Maybe I just pissed off the entire newspaper, the publicity pic for Boats and Bridges was equally horrid.
 
man.. i'm such a source for oft quoted comments.

thank you.

thank you very much.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: KL, Malaysia

Travails and trails in life and food

PREVIOUS POSTS
ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / July 2007 /


LINKIES

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.