Betta Under The Radar
A broken on-line papier machine
parinya
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
  Recharge
A week in Singapore taking part in my first international show - 'Open SEA', curated by Khairuddin Hori at The Substation:

Alot of walking, often late at night, without the fear of being raped and stabbed.

The return of my appetite - double servings at every meal, much to the shock of curator and other artists. Allow me to highlight one particular dinner at Warung M.Nasir on Killeny Road. It was so good so good so good... the kind of dinner where you have worked hard all day and can eat into infinity! Honestly do not think I have liked food so much since I got back to KL two years ago - indication of a wider change? Perhaps...

Reflections upon Singapore as a 'soul-less' city. In an abstract, urban theoretical way, I am leaning towards agreement. But after hanging out with Khai at his studio/art space (Wunderspace) near the beach, I realize that the situation is much like KL - a giant machine headed with apparent inevitability towards disaster, but with alot of people chipping away at the edges - steadily, slowly - in an effort to halt the slide.

A very pleasant ride to the beach on Khai's bike, all by my tasty self. Sat and stared out for ages and ages at a grey-green-blue sea... momentary urge to throw myself into the water. And a disturbing thought that... I wouldn't want to die just yet.

The impossible has happened : I have become enamoured of performance art. On the 5 hour bus ride back to KL, I pieced together the rough elements of two performances... one to do with necking, one to do with reflexology. It was easy to imagine doing them while I was riding on the bus, but the moment I reached KL, I thought 'it won't be so easy...' (But more on this at a later time)

I GOT A HAIRCUT. Lynn did it on a whim in Khai's garden with a pair of paper scissors. It is a schizophrenic haircut - dyke on one side, ingenue on the other. A perfect duality. Was very nervous for a couple of days after - realize that I have been hanging on to my safe 'school teacher' look for far too long. Back in KL, it is a hit. Whee.

Tee-hee.

Labels:

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: KL, Malaysia

Travails and trails in life and food

PREVIOUS POSTS
ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / July 2007 /


LINKIES

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.