Betta Under The Radar
A broken on-line papier machine
parinya
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
  Do ya have it in GREEN?
Materials Day yesterday. Which means running around like an aroused rabbit finding all the things I need for the exhibition. (Aroused rabbit? I don't know where I get it from either)

Like any honest artist I have a few favorite haunts that seldom let me down. My favorite stationary shop is Star Enterprise in Taman Tun. It is my first port of call. It is one of those places where you can usually find what you need - wither it is a cheap harmonica or certain size pins - and if you don't, the sheer range of STUFF there will inspire alternatives. They also have a small haberdashery section which houses a truly inspiring collection of ribbon.

Another place in Taman Tun is a hardware store that I have been visiting since I was a wee student. It is a labyrinth of tools, buckets, pipes, fastenings, and all manner of what-have-yous. One does not attempt the labyrinth, but always consults the sweet Uncle who will dispense advice on a project and then dip into his shop to emerge with the right tool or material. The prices here are more than honest - you need never ever fear being ripped off.

For more specialized art supplies, I go to WIN'S in Taman Megah. I know there are better places, like Nanyang Art Supplies or Venus Art Supplies, but those are in the heart of the city and unless I am desperate, I try to avoid the parking circus that occurs there daily. WIN'S is operated by a frazzled Auntie who will ignore you unless you cut the que and insist on paying for your purchases. A succession of surly pimply-faced Chinese boys act as her helpers, but depending on them is like depending on the weather. They do no react to smiles, eye-batting or mild flirtations, so these tactics are useless. Your best best is to accost them and hit them with a barrage of questions all at once. Shyness will get you nowhere in WIN'S. I have seen people being ignored, a pinched suffering look on their faces, as more aggressive customers get served first.

There is an obscure little art shop in Damansara Utama - Superior Art Supplies - that I also like to go to. They don't have alot of stuff, but sometimes when all else fails, you can find it in Superior. They were the only place I could find grommets of any sort, for example.

Plaster, cement, clay, rubber - all the big building materials I get from Multifilla way out in Balakong. It is not cheap, in fact it is the most expensive in town, but I find their quality utterly dependable. He has alot of storage, so the materials are kept 'fresh'. If you have ever tried to mix a stale bag of plaster, you will know what I mean.

My loot yesterday:

A lovely big roll of soft green scaffold netting

A mass of green nylon rope (this was very difficult to find)

Green thread and metal spools for the sewing machine

Calligraphic ink

Foam board

3M Super77 Industrial strength spray adhesive - this shit is TOXIC - it has a sticker on it saying that is not authorized for sale or use in California because it does not meet Aerosol Consumer Products VOC limits.

Now to work!
 
Comments:
Hi. May i know the address for star enterprise in taman tun? Thanks.

From zelzel
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: KL, Malaysia

Travails and trails in life and food

PREVIOUS POSTS
ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / July 2007 /


LINKIES

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.